Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Road Trip


At 7:00 a.m. sharp, tomorrow morning, September the 14th, I will be heading westward with a good friend. Big Bend National Park will be in our sites. We will be spending 3 nights hiking, camping, reading, thinking, talking and maybe we will be able to do a little of this since it has been raining that direction.

We will be traveling through a small canyon outside of
Ozonza on our way to Langtry, home of Judge Roy Bean. From there we will travel to Marfa and see the Lights that is if my friend wants to. Yes there are lights that dance on the horizon. What they are, I have no idea. I do know that they exist because I saw them in 2003 as we were passing through Marfa on our way back from a mission trip to Chihuahua, Chihuahua, Mexico.

From there we will travel south on FR169. The town that we will travel to next will be past the end of this road. Yes, that is right this town,
Casa Piedra, is beyond the end of FR169. According to my map it is the only town in Texas where the only way to access it is via a dirt road. According to the official road map of Texas there is supposedly a population of 21 people. I find that hard to believe. We will see...

My friend is a huge bird watcher (no he is not of retirement age) so I imagine that we will be looking for a few of these and these as well as hopefully one of these.