Thursday, January 25, 2007

7 Point Calvinist

What is a seven point Calvinist?


I believe that it was John Piper who I first heard the following phrase from, "Im a slobbering seven point Calvinist". I had never heard of such a thing at the time and wondered what in the world a 7 point Calvinist was. I remember thinking "hmm...maybe a 7 pointer is a hyper-Calvinist? But wait a minute. Piper isnt a hyper-calvinist.".


After some research I have came to find that the additional 2 points, refered to by those who call themselves 7 pointers, are as follows (if there is need of correction or addition in the two following points please let me know and I will be glad make changes).

Point 6-This is the flip side of unconditional election, better known as double predestination. Just as God chooses whom He will save without regard to any distinctives in the person (Ephesians 1:5-6; Acts 13:48; Revelation 17:8), so also he decides whom He will not save without regard to any distinctives in the individual (John 10:26; 12:37-40; Romans 9:11-18; 1 Peter 2:7-8).

Point 7-We live in the best of all possible worlds. In order to see and understand this point one has to have a Kingdom/ultimate perspective. We have to pan out from our current/proximate circumstances and see that though things may not seem so great at the moment, we can rest assured that all things are working for our good and that by His ultimate orchastration we can joyfully give thanks in ALL circumstances knowing that in the big picture, His glory is being most fully displayed and His people are more satisfied in Him than they would have in any other possible world.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I especially like point number seven.

Anonymous said...

I'm digging point 7 too. Piper and I are huge on the concept of God getting and maintaining maximum glory for himself because not to do so is a sin. Follow this reasoning.
1.)God's glory is supremelly valuable.
2.)God is all powerful.
3.)God does everything.
4.)To not value what is supremely valuable is sin.
5.) Therefore in everything God does, which is everything, he must be putting his glory first and maximizing it or he is sinning.

E. Goodman said...

Anonymous,
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Would you mind explaining your first point? What does "God's glory is supremely valuable" mean?

I guess I'm just not clear on why you would start the "line of reasoning" with this.

If Anonymous doesn't come back, maybe someone else would mind explaining this to me...

Thanks

mi familia said...

Stepchild,
Thanks for reading. I didnt think anybody read my blog until the other day when I figured how to add a counter to it.
I have basically been posting things for myself and which has been serving me as sort of a diary.
I am thrilled to see that you are at least an occasional reader. I have read your blog many times and have enjoyed it each time.

Since this post is over a year old I am not sure if anonymous will ever see your question.

I think that I know what he/she means by God's glory is supremelly valuable, so Ill give it a shot.

I am quite sure that he/she is a Piper fan. If that is so then I think that what they are getting at is that God is passionate for His glory. He desires that all men see and delight in Him. He desires to share His greatness with man.

To give you a better understanding I think that you need will need to read "Desiring God", specifically here--> http://www.desiringgod.org/dg/id224.htm

and then this chapter--> http://www.desiringgod.org/dg/id6.htm

In other words, God is our Treasure and He is His Treasure. Because He is His Treasure then, and only then, can He be our Treasure.
Hmm, that sounds like a future post to me! :)

Also, I would be honored if you would critique my ideas of missions, letting me know how I might better understand missions since I basically have ZERO experience.
Your words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
If you thought that they might not be appropriate in this context, you are more than welcome to email me.

Thanks again for reading and God bless!!!